Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Added New Koi They Died-I Didn't Quarantine Them-What Should I Do?


Koi Man
Question: I added new fish last year without quarantining them and they all died and some of the old ones also died over the winter. Some are all right. Now before I add new ones I want to know if I have to treat the pond? I have no idea why they died. What do you think I should do?

Answer: First you have to clean out your pond.

• Do a 50% water change. Take the water from the bottom of the pond.

• Don’t feed the fish until the water temp stays at 60°F.

• Then feed only what they will eat in 5 to 10 min-Once a day.

Do NOT add any fish unless you quarantine them for at least 6 to 8 weeks.

• Don’t treat the pond with anything unless you know exactly what 
  you’re treating for.

• Don’t use a shotgun method of treatment. If the other fish from last year are okay keep them in the pond alone for 8 to 12 weeks.

You never said how large your pond is- and how many Koi are in the pond and what type of filtration you have, this type of information from you could lead to much better answers for your problem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment